Thursday, April 23, 2015

Project Fair!

Welcome to my blog! Hopefully you enjoyed the 20-Time Project Fair hosted by Ms. Hechlik! And, if you didn't go, you really missed out. 

Like you (probably) learned if you attended the fair, my original goal was to have a minute and a half long conversation in American Sign Language (ASL) with another ASL speaker. After some time experimenting with the language, I decided that my goal probably wasn't very achievable and that I might want to amend it. So, my new goal is this: learn common words and phrases in ASL, as well as learning about the history of ASL, and a little about deaf culture. 

Along with my pursuit of knowledge into the deaf world, I am also watching videos that are motivational, about ASL, or deaf culture, or even both! 

Below are three videos that I've recently watched that just happen to be both motivational and about deaf culture! After each video, I'll provide my thoughts and opinions about what was said:

1)
I find this video to be very cool, because along with Pamela, I am also trying to learn ASL. Though her journey is further along than mine, it really drove me to keep signing away and continue along with my pursuit of new knowledge. 


2)
This video is very moving. It's very brave of her to actually speak her presentation rather than signing it and having an interpreter. Her humor and bravery inspire me to continue my journey learning sign.


3)
What really struck me about this was that the first deaf person he knew was Moses. That just goes to show how separated deaf people are from the hearing world. 

After watching these videos I've realized that deaf people aren't really that different from the rest of the world, and we need to stop looking at them as disabled, and this of them as abled people in society that can do anything we can, except hear!

Now, I have a task for you:
  1. Watch all of these videos.
  2. Answer this question in my comments: Do you think of deaf people as disabled? If so, why?
  3. Comment how you think you can change your outlook on the deaf community.



4 comments:

  1. Awesome Piper!! I love TED talks!!!!
    To answer your questions:
    Deaf people aren't disabled, They can't hear. In a world built for hearing, this may cause some difficulties.
    I wish I could get a little involved with the deaf community, but I have honestly been too scared that my sign language isn't good enough. Perhaps I can step outside my comfort zone sometime and try to meet some people in the deaf community, although I have no idea where I would do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you shared your thoughts and opinions about each TED talk! (I love them as well). I feel like in out community we consider them disabled. So we should treat them like normal people as we do each other. People who have life a little bit more difficult often get overlooked when they actually need more care for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you wanted to include your audience. No, deaf people are NOT disabled. I don't know anyone in the deaf community, but I did know your mentor, and she taught me a lot about her job that was eye-opening to me. I hope to further learn from others, just like I'm learning from you!

    ReplyDelete