Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Yay! A Video!


Okay, so in my last post, I said I'd post a video, and well, here it is:




So, I found out that making a video isn't as easy as I thought... I have to refilm myself like 20 different times because I kept messing up... Also, my mom kept making fun of me, which made me laugh, resulting in a failed attempt at a video. After many trials, I finally got one that I would deem good enough to post!

In the video I am (attempting to say) saying, "Hello! My name is Piper. What is your name?" For all of you that might know sign language, please feel free to drop a comment and tell me if I'm actually saying that... If I'm not, I would like to extend my apology to the deaf and ASL speaking communities for my failed attempt. (I actually do think I'm saying what I meant to, but would just like to cover my bases in case I messed up).

The videos that I've been watching have really helped me to learn new vocab words. Though they've helped me with words, I haven't really been able to practice sentences much, which could be a problem down the road when I want to actually be able to have a conversation with someone.

On a brighter note, I got in contact with my mentor! She is a sign language interpreter here in town, so she'll be able to aid and assist me throughout the process. I'm stoked about this because it means that I'll actually be able to begin conversations with others. I'm meeting with my mentor today after school in the library here at Dow! So in about 30 minutes I will be having my first real ASL lesson.

As a part of 20-Time, in order to make it even more of a learning experience, my teacher is requiring us to pick a book(s) to read for 10-15 minutes each day in class that somewhat relates to our project.
The book I chose to read is called I'll Scream Later by Marlee Matlin (http://www.amazon.com/Ill-Scream-Later-Marlee-Matlin/dp/1439171513). It is a memoir written by Marlee, a deaf actress, and highlights here struggles in the film industry. I'm really enjoying it so far and can't wait to keep you all up to date with what I read!

Next week I will be traveling to India with my friend Faith and her family for spring break, so unfortunately, I will be missing 20-Time :( However, my goal is to watch at least one video in the airport either on my way to India, or back home. I am super excited for my trip and can't wait to tell you all about it when I return!

Until then, wish me luck with my lesson and safe travels for my trip!
Piper :)


2 comments:

  1. Love it!!! That's how I learned ¨Hi my name is¨! I love Marlee Mantin! I really recommend the film 'Children of a Lessor God' about a deaf student and a hearing teacher, one of her earlier films. The story is great, and you get a chance to practice reading sign as she signs. It has subtitles too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete